Hey everyone, My name is Joel, and I am starting this blog not because I think I am important, or because I have an urge to satiate peoples' voyueristic needs. I am starting this blog because I need to do it.
I shall explain: I am an art teacher (high school). I learned some years ago, that if a student's work was shown in the display cabinet as they doing it (a work in progress), they tended to care more about the work, work harder on it, and be more self-critical as the piece progresses. The fact that it was out there seemed to make them work harder, as they knew every step would be seen and judged... Sure, there were some kids that screw it up on purpose, to amuse their friends, without care for their grade, or outcome. However, I saw that the student-artist was using their space to communicate humor, even if it was self-deprecating.
Let me assure you, I am not going to be self-deprecating (well, maybe sometimes)... I am starting this blog in order to chart my progress of becoming a scholar (a scholar defined as one who has profound knowledge of a particular subject)... Now I like to take a Socratic approach to this and say that I am an ignorant person in a great many things, and even if I become the most knowledgeable person on the planet, there will still be a lot of things I don't know.
..So this takes me back to the initial story about student work in the artcase. I feel that this blog being out there will help to push me. If anyone feels like watching my journey, please do.
My goal is to go to graduate school to study Classical Art/Archaeology. I am old for this dream (currently 35) as I have seen others in school who are MUCH younger (and knowledgeable) than I. I understand I have my work cut out for me.
This is a picture that I had taken while visiting Mycenae, Summer 2009 (Fulbright/American School of Classical Studies-Athens Summer Session I). It is one of my favorite pictures.
Is it because I am trying to look badass? Is it because this picture was taken where few people are allowed to go? Is it because you can see artistic/architectural/cultural elements, all at the same time here? Probably a little of all three... and one of the reasons why I love art/art history. There is such a wealth of information that it is daunting, and like a huge secret world that few know about (WHAT?! you mean not everyone knows about art history?!) ...Which in some ways, also makes it hard to study, especially while working full-time.
I have a website that I have made for my students as well: HERE.
...well, since it is early on Saturday monring (7 am), I am going to hit the gym. I am a firm believer in body fueling the mind. I just needed to get this going with a few random thoughts. This will be my journey: to scholarship, discovery, and hopefully a graduate school someday.
Thanks for sharing your blog, Joel! This stuff is fantastic. You're never too old to embark on an educational journey.
ReplyDeleteHappy trails, my friend! :)M
Thanks, Mabi... I have a lot of work ahead.
ReplyDelete