11.10.2010

Recommended: The Great Courses

Q. What do you do when you:

1. are interested in something
2. have limited/no time to attend college-level courses on the subject
3. want to be exposed to knowledgeable/reputable professors, to teach you said course?

A. Go to the Great Courses website.

I fit into all the categories above: I really want to learn more, but with a full time job(s), it becomes very difficult to progress academically...especially when everything is read from a book. I have learned very differently when reading from a book, being at a place firsthand, and actually learning from an instructor.
So this is a huge plug: The Great Courses has many courses, from science to history to art. I have gotten a few of these courses, and enjoyed them immensely. The price can't be beat for getting a professor to lecture on a subject (and not attending the university). I actually got to meet and talk to John. H. Hale (University of Kentucky-Louisville) last spring after a lecture on the Delphic oracle. In my quest to learn more and prepare myself for further studies, this stuff can't be beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages will be reviewed before publication.