 |
| Delphi, sitting comfortably on her sister. |
Periodically, I will talk about the things in my life, which influence me, sometimes daily. The "person" whom I am introducing first (although there is NO order of importance here) is our 1-yr old, Delphi.
She is a mutt, and we adopted her last December, and Val agreed that we could name her after the Greek sanctuary, where the Pithia relayed responses from the gods... which is why Delphi here has the honor of being the first one introduced on the blog. Her favorite things to do are:
- Bark
- Chase games
- Ring bell when she is thirsty or wants to go outside
- Reverse engineering on any of her stuffed animals
 |
| John Collier (1891) |
WIKIPEDIA:
The Delphic oracle was established in the 8th century BC. The last recorded response was given in 393 AD, when the emperor Theodosius I ordered pagan temples to cease operation. During this period the Delphic Oracle was the most prestigious and authoritative oracle in the Greek world.
I heard John Hale (UK-Louisville) give a lecture on the Oracle a few months ago, and he raised some interesting questions/theories about the use of natural hallucinogenic gas at the temple of Apollo. I found a script of a radio interview he did here:
John Hale interview
No comments:
Post a Comment
Messages will be reviewed before publication.