The volunteers were all divided up into 3 groups. I went along with my group, and we ended up going to BH (Beta Eta), where part of the Stoa Poikile is found. We spent the day clearing the growth from the sides of the walls (Imagine weeding a garden, if the garden was vertical). It was a little messy because of the previous rain, but we did manage to get almost all of it done. It is in a part of the city called Monastiraki, which many tourists visit for the market and the tavernas (cafes). Because of this, sometimes you will have trash that people have thrown in the pit.... so cleanup is a necessity.
A normal day is as follows:
7:00: At Site
9:00: Cookie Break
11:00: Lunch
13:00: Water break
14:00: Done for the day.
| Beta Eta, after one day. In the upper right, you can see the foliage that still remains. |
After a few hours of arriving back at the apartment, I started to realize how had I had been working, and how out of shape I was. My whole body ached, and I ended up passing out for a few hours.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Messages will be reviewed before publication.