Normally, I wouldn't post anything today, as it was routine.... but I want to keep track of the days, so here we are. In fact, I think everytime I write in yellow, it will be meant as an aside to the reader.
Some days, you keep doing the same thing as the day before. Today was one of those days. We have a unusual 3-day weekend, because of an event happening at the American School on Friday. So, after one week (or 3 days) of digging, what have I learned?1. I am horribly out of shape, but most likely it's just a result of not being very flexible. I have passed out for a few hours after cleaning up everyday I return back to the apartment...and it's not even hot yet :(
2. I am most likely the oldest person here in the trenches. Haven't done a poll, but I am almost sure I am. (maybe part of the reason for sleeping in #1). I theoretically could be a few of the other volunteer's fathers. I find myself on the edge of a lot of group conversations, maybe because I am older and I like to hear younger people enthusiastically talk about life/the future. Maybe I have gotten a little cynical, and who knows? I could learn something ;)
3. $100 (US) does not last very long here. I think I blew through that in food in possibly a week? I certainly don't recall spending it on anything crazy.
4. I am reminded how spoiled we are in the US: Large containers of juice/milk are the things I miss the most. I will burn though the juice containers here in 2-3 days.
5. I need to acclimate to the schedule here. I have been keeping very unusual hours, because of the extended siesta in the afternoon. Makes me tired and frankly a little anti-social, because I am just sleepy.
6. Digging interesting things (The Byzantine well was pretty sweet) is really, really cool. I may have to adjust my opinion if we have something boring, but everyone tells me that the time flies by when you are having a good time finding things. I think maybe growing up in the country, and working at the farm may have paid off...I don't mind the physical labor (although I was probably helped out by the cooler-than-normal weather. There is also an incredible amount of methodology and science involved, that I am still trying to pick up.
Not really sure what I am going to do these next three days. I have a short list of things I would like to do while I am here... maybe a short day trip is in order.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Messages will be reviewed before publication.